POLICIES, PROJECTS AND BEST PRACTICES: LITHUANIA
By Marco Mazouzi, Marian Cihon, Pawel Warszyck
National Transport Development Programme 2014-2022
The National Transport Development Programme 2014-2022 has been developed taking into account the multifaceted benefits provided by the transport sector to the state, society and the economy of the country. The program is necessary for the sustainable development of the Lithuanian communication system, efficient management of state resources and the use of structural funds of the European Union, to increase the competitiveness of the transport sector.
The program is a medium-term strategic planning document setting strategic goals, common goals and objectives for achieving these goals, as well as their evaluation criteria and the institutions implementing the program. The program analyses the prospects for the development of the transport sector - transport (roads, railways, sea and inland waterways, air), logistics and postal services. The program highlights horizontal priorities for the development of transport: multimodality of transport, integrated urban transport, application of intelligent transport systems for all modes of transport, road safety and security, and increasing energy efficiency in the transport sector, development of environmentally friendly transport.
The strategic goal of the program is to create a sustainable, environmentally friendly, competitive and high value added Lithuanian transport system. Upon reaching the strategic goal, the communication system ensures high-quality, efficient, continuous and sustainable mobility of members of the public and the transport of goods, high-quality logistics and postal services.
Main objectives of the programme:
- The first objective of the programme is to increase cargo and passenger mobility by improving the corridors of the EU TEN-T core network and connecting them to the transport network of state and local importance and developing the interoperability of different modes of transport.
- The second objective of the Program is to pursue an active transport policy, increase the competitiveness of the transport sector, and improve the quality of transport and logistics services.
- The third objective of the programme is to promote the coherence of the local (urban and suburban) transport system.
- The fourth objective of the programme is to increase the efficiency of energy transport in transport and reduce the negative environmental impact of transport.
- The fifth objective of the programme is to increase traffic safety.
Klaipeda Strategic Plan 2013-2020 / Klaipeda SUMP (will be approved 2018) / ‘Quattro’ agreement between 4 regional municipalities
The new vision of the city’s future covers almost every urban development area. It covers the increase in the citizenship and community sense amongst the people, providing quality health care and providing conditions for the healthy lifestyle of the citizen and the city it-self.
The sustainable development of the city is undoubtedly remains a top priority, increasing the attractiveness of the city, its rational infrastructure development is also very important. During the period of 2013-2020 there is a plan to build new roads and reconstruct the existing ones, take proper care of parks, squares and areas near water, to revive the centre of the city and the residential areas, to reconstruct objects of heritage and adapt them for public use.
Klaipeda should become a green, environmentally-friendly city where a sustainable transportation system will be actively developed and promoted – residents and city guests will choose public transportation and bicycles rather than individual cars. Ecologic and environment-friendly vehicles will be presented to the wide public.
The main measures of the Klaipeda Strategic plan 2013-2020 include the following:
- Develop special transportation services for the recipients of social services
- Prepare Klaipeda city traffic development study and the sustainable mobility plan
- Develop a public and private transport cooperation system for constructing vehicle and bicycle parking lots
- Develop a public transportation network comfortable for residents by optimizing it with the means of taking the regular passenger traffic flow studies’ results into account and consideration
- Integrate regular public transport (buses, fixed route taxi and other) route and schedule networks along with the ticket systems in the city and suburbs by 2018
- Provide opportunities for new, environment friendly transport types to be used in the city
- Promote environment friendly individual transport development by constructing electric vehicle zones
- Develop bicycle, pedestrian paths and pedestrian only streets system by increasing its integrity, interconnection and quality
- Prepare electricity driven public transportation bus development program for Klaipeda
- Increase the use of environment friendly fuels in public transport
- Increase Klaipeda’s accessibility by different means of transportation